Thursday, September 22, 2016

What is an album?

Reading time 1 minute, 26 seconds.......................

Wow- did I ever feel ancient yesterday.  The G girls were at the house and we were discussing the Beatles.  I wanted to take the G kids to the Beatles documentary and had checked it out online.  I found out that the film has an age restriction of 15....wow and this is the Beatles touring years - I thought it would be safe but I guess not.

So while I was telling the girls about The Beatles documentary that I could not take them to, I told them that The Beatles sold more albums than anyone in the world ever.  They just looked at me and said what is an album?  Really?  I proceeded to explain that there was a time when there were no CD's, DVD's, home computers, satellite radio, etc.  We had turntables and played record albums.

The Beatles sold 1.6 BILLION albums.  I know it is an amazing number.  The Rolling Stones sold 250 million.......No comparison.

The Beatles wrote the most covered song of all time, Yesterday, covered by other bands more than 3000 times.  The Stones wrote a song that has been covered a lot- I Can't Get No Satisfaction- Covered 98 times......

The Beatles had 27 number 1 hits, The Rolling Stones had 8.  The Beatles released 13 albums, not including compilations and live and solo albums.  The Rolling Stones recorded 24, not including compilations and live concert recordings.

The Rolling Stones first hit, "I wanna be your man", was written by Lennon and McCartney.


The Rolling Stones are the longest touring rock group of all time, touring since 1962.  I was ten years old when they started touring.  The Stones have had a few change-ups in their group makeup over the years, due to death or retirement.  But Mick Jagger just keeps on rockin'.  The Beatles quit touring in 1966.



I Can't Get No Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
"When I'm drivin' in my car
And a man comes on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what I say"

Coming Soon:

  • Tribute to Papou
  • The Desert Trip Realized
  • Fall Decorating Outdoors
  • Some interesting Halloween goodies----glitz and glamour
Love, Ya-Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment