Friday, August 12, 2016

Follow the Yellow Brick Road- There's No Place Like Home


Wow,  I picked another hard one.  I was talking to one of our kids about this one and he asked me what I was going to choose.  He said everyone in my age group would choose these movies,  so let’s see if you agree:
These are in no particular order:


The Wizard of Oz- This has to make my list.  The G girls watch it with me and know all of the songs.  They also love to visit Dorothy’s house.  I call the Hotel Del Coronado "Dorothy’s house".  Maybe because the book was written at the Del.  Or maybe I call it "Dorothy’s house" because there is a gift shop on the main floor that has Wizard of Oz stuff to buy.  I know it is a little crazy but it is fun for us.  I was scared when I saw this movie for the first time and my Mom had to take me out of the theater.  I think the reason that the girls are not scared is that I have told them many times that the movie is fake stuff and that there is not really a green witch and flying monkeys.  It is all made up. 

Gone with the Wind- An epic.  How could it not be on the list?  And frankly if you disagree with me I don't give a d........


Dirty Dancing- I always think I will go on a diet and dance like Jennifer Grey after I watch her spectacular dancing.  This is a great story and great music and dancing.  But I can not share with my G kids yet.  I will love it when I can.

Dr. Zhivago- My favorite movie of my growing up years.  I remember standing in line numerous times to watch this very long epic film.  And it is not a musical. Remember the days of standing in line- no reserved seats......I love reserved seats.


Chicago- This one will make both my list of favorite Broadway shows and favorite movies.  I kind of like to sing along to show tunes.

Others I considered but did not make the top 5:
The Big Chill- Music-
The Godfather- acting- but a little violent for my taste
Flash Dance- dance
Chorus Line-dance
Terms of Endearment-story
It’s a Wonderful Life-every year we watch this one- or at least I do....the rest of the fmaily may be sleeping or pretending to watch it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- who could not like Paul Newman and Robert Redford?

Other top movies:
The Shawshank Redemption
Shindler's List
Raging Bull
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Lawrence of Arabia
Vertigo
Psycho
On the Waterfront
Forest Gump
Patton
The Sound of Music
Star Wars
2001 A Space Odyssey
Chinatown
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"I've Had the time of my life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes


"Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before
Yes I swear it's the truth
and I owe it all to you
'Cause I've had the time of my life
and I owe it all to you"
Enjoy your day and love up those kids and puppies!!

Coming Soon:
  • Bucket List
  • What to do on a Beach vacation
  • Classes to take
  • Another engagement party
  • Mermaid Party
  • Best concerts
Love, Ya-Ya






No comments:

Post a Comment