Saturday, August 20, 2016

Proud to Be An American

Michael Phelps
Mark Spitz

Wow- USA won 105 medals.  My favorites are swimming and women's gymnastics.  I was glued to the TV at midnight waiting for the results, except when one of my guests told me in the afternoon the results.  Spoiler alert.  Michael Phelps is amazing.  In 1972, I thought Mark Spitz was a rock star and Michael Phelps has just kept winning more medals.  Remember the posters of Mark Spitz that were lifesize?  Maybe they have a similar one of Michael Phelps???

Simone Biles is a remarkable athlete.  I could not believe her strength and power on the floor exercise.  She deserved every medal she earned.  Congrats to all athletes who made it to the Olympics and also to our medal recipients.

We were talking about being proud Americans and I was reminded of a couple of family outings.  Most recently, in Las Vegas, we were in the Piano Bar at NYNY (my favorite bar in LV)and it was filled with Canadians.  Really? I think we were outnumbered.  One of the piano players said "let's see who can win,  the Canadians or the Americans?"  One of our family members decided that the Americans should win,  so he gathered dollar bills from the Americans.  He handed the piano player $180.00 to play "Proud to be an American".  It was memorable.  The entire bar was standing and singing.

Another time, we were in a piano bar and making a spectacle of ourselves.  There was a bachelorette party and our group was dancing and singing with the bridal party and having the best time.  A little old man (picture really little and really old- like 85ish)approached one of the kids(adult kids) and asked if he would request a song. The piano players were very receptive to whatever we requested and the really cute, little, old man could not get his song played.  We requested his song and it was "Proud to be an American".  I am crying writing this blog.  The entire place was on their feet and hugging and singing as loud as they could.  The little, old man was in the middle of our family, with his arms around us. Needless to say,  I was moved to tears.  Shocking I know.

"Proud to be an American"-Lee Greenwood"
"If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A."

Coming Soon:

  • The Birthday Club
  • Return to reality
  • A Girlfriends Getaway
  • The Costume Tradition
  • View From a Bike
  • The Ferry Landing

No comments:

Post a Comment